Wednesday, July 5, 2006

Movie : Superman Returns

So, I read the downer reviews, and felt bummed, because I was really hoping for a good new Superman movie. When I purchased my ticket, I was ready for a crappy Lex Luthor, a 2.5 hour slow movie, and too much emotion.

After the movie ended, I could only think one thing about all the reviews I read: WROONNNNG! (as Luthor yells)

First off, I will say that there is NOT a tremendous amount of Superman action in this movie. Actually, there may only be three scenes: airplane, random city-saves after big shockwave, and 'lifting the rock'. That's it. Sooooo, if you were looking for Superman doing lots of crazy antics, you may be disappointed. But I didn't mind, because:

A.) Lex Luthor was great. All his scenes, the way it was filmed, his goonies, all were great. Let's grow a crystal city for real estate money? Of course it's a crazy idea, because Lex Luthor is INSANE! The maps were A+ in my opinion.

B.) All the tributes to the old Superman movies were a nice touch. I thought this movie felt less like a summer blockbuster movie and more like a great movie from the 80s with improved effects. A+ in my book.

C.) The spooky way the new Superman sounded just like the old Superman.

There are many more points, but this is supposed to be a vague review. I will say this as a negative: there seemed to be a bunch of Superman = Jesus similarities in the last 30 minutes... if some of those were nixed, this may have been a perfect film. As it stands though, I rate it very, very highly.

Oh, and maybe the number one reason why this movie is great: it will produce one of the best sequals ever! Take THAT evil-superman vs. robot-woman sequal.

Recommend? Yes. And flying is still the safest way to travel.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

well said. like i said, like the first superman movies, which i loved more than anything when i was like 4 years old. it made me feel a bit like a little kid, honestly. that's why i just complained about the mopiness. but yeah, the lex luthor stuff was straight out of the old 80's superman movies. this guy's superman was good, but i think his clark kent fell pretty short of christopher reeve's...

Murf said...

i agree with the clark kent statement: christopher reeve set a pretty high bar there.

Travis Payne said...

i agree the movie was like a revisit to my childhood days of haveing superman pajamas and lex luthor was really cool. this guy was an ok superman but reeve was made for the role of superman.
also a lot of the scenes they used i had seen as comic covers done by alex ross which was kinda cool.
as far as me buying it probably not cause it was a good movie that made me forget about the things going on in the world which is in my opinion what a movie should do. so super man was an okay movie not great but okay.

Michael said...

I haven't seen it, but even the people who said it was too long or that it didn't have enough action said Kevin Spacey Rocked the Lex to the max. But, I haven't seen it yet. I will see it, though. I can't not.