Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Book: Money

by Martin Amis - the last book I'll be reading right now in my Martin Amis spree since I have yet to come across "Dead Babies." I have to admit, that title is intriguing, but alas it has nothing to do with the book "Money." However, money has a lot to do with the book Money, and so do sex, alcohol, blackouts, strippers, Hollywood, London, New York, the majesty of George Orwell's Animal Farm, and a mission of self-discovery through absolute hedonism. I've got to give Amis credit. His narrator is one of the single most depraved and loathsome characters EVER written, yet he is the hero of the story. And you end up liking him. Also, some great experimentation with narrator reliability, especially since the narrator blacks out all the time.

Recommend: yeah, but it's not quite as inventive as Time's Arrow or Success.

No comments: