Tuesday, December 6, 2005

RPG : Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the Cursed King

Dragon Quest VIII is doing everything right. And Old-School. It's the best RPG I've played in a long time. Much better than, say, Final Fantays X-2, which wasn't very good at all. And Final Fantasy X, which was okay but not good enough to bother finishing. Or Morrowind, which was not much to my taste. It's the best RPG since consoles were 32-bits, that's for sure. This, of course, is excluding games I haven't played. Maybe there were some fine RPGs I missed. If this is the case, I am sorry. I will make it up to you by not playing them and continuing to play the crap out of Dragon Quest VIII. I mean, I've gotta catch that rascally Dhoulmagus. And I need to find more alchemy recipes. And I gotta work on my party's skills.

Recommend? Yes, the story line is simplistic(thus followable and engaging), the graphics look like a cartoon, and the world is huge. And you get to fight slimes, and metal slimes, and healslimes and...

6 comments:

Murf said...

What game consol is this for?

I will list the best RPGs of all time:

1.) Final Fantasy VII (hands down)
2.) World of Warcraft (the single longest game I have ever experienced in my life [800+ hours :( ]
3.) Pokemon Yellow (gotta catch em all!)
4.) Morrowind (just because it allowed you to make a ring of power to turn you invisible, levitate, breath underwater, and shoot fireballs with lightning and poisen effects]
5.) Final Fantasy VIII (at the time, though not as good as VII, packed quite the punch.

Honorable mention: Paper Mario

I've never played any Dragon Quests though, so maybe I'll have to look into 'em now.

Michael said...

It's for PS2, and it's much more traditional than a final fantasy, but it pwns.

Best RPGs in NO particular order:

Final Fantasy 7 (I mean, yeah. I maxxxt out tha clock.)
Chrono Trigger (coolest storyline ever. I mean, change the past to change the future to get a sweet weapon to go to the past to kill something to unlock a chest in the future, etc. The characters and the music also pwned.)
Pokemon (blue/red/yellow/gold/silver) C'mon, you know they ruled. I played silver for 110 hours and still got pwned battling other people.
Final Fantasy Tacticssweetest. Long. Battles. Ever.

I'd like to put Final Fantasy III (six in Japan) on here, and honorably mention paper mario, also.

But Final Fantasy VIII. No. 9 and 10 were better than eight, and that's not saying much, really.

Murf said...

Oh man, Final Fantasy Tactics! I completely forgot about that one!

2.5) Final Fantasy Tactics (fun AND challenging...any RPG I've played 3 times through has GOT to be good)

And I still have never played Chrono Trigger, but have heard from many that it is one of the best. Do you think it will ever be re-released for some system out now? That's one I'd like on a gameboy type platform.

Rox.

Andrew said...

well, andrew has to list his best RPGSs of all time... i'm afraid he departs from the others what with the PC games and all.

1. final fantasy III (VI?)
2. planescape: torment
3. dragon warrior (quest) I
4. baldur's gate
5. chrono trigger

no comment, etc.

Andrew said...

ah, i should have included fallout 2. make that #6. maybe i could stick FFVII in around #7; i think that was the one game i was compelled to complete in the shortest period of time (i think i finished it in like 3 days)... but i never played it again.

Michael said...

Aw, final fantasy VII was one of the best for mindless extra quests and activities.

Chrono Trigger was re-released for the playstation in a double set with final fantasy 2 (IV). It's probably still around.